Sunday, September 22, 2013

21 Day Detox Challenge - Day 2

Not gonna lie, today was rough. I wanted to read about other people's experiences on similar programs and I found this: http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ It's basically a timeline of how one typically might feel throughout the course of a Whole30 program. Days 2-3 are the hangover phase, and that's exactly how I felt today... Hungover. I woke up in the middle of the night with a slight headache that never really went away. I woke up a few hours later and all I wanted was a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. Instead I made eggs and broccoli, bacon, avocado and green tea but still felt foggy most of the morning.



Since my dad is in town, my sister came down for the day. After breakfast, we decided to go to the Tech Museum for the day. If you live or happen to be near San Jose and have never been it's a pretty interesting place. Before we left I decided I should eat again if we were going to be walking around for a few hours. So I heated up the pork tenderloin I made and ate it with a side salad of just greens and lemon juice.


Sometime during the day the headache got worse. I bought a bottle of water and noticed that walking around felt better than standing or sitting still. We stopped after the IMAX movie and had a snack. I had brought an apple and some almonds, and at this point I was feeling terrible, but after eating I started feeling better and we continued on. The rest of the day was okay, I was obviously not feeling 100% but I still enjoyed myself, and I didn't feel like I was going to pass out or anything. Then we left and on the way home is when I started feeling worse. Holy headache batman, I wanted to throw in the towel right then. At home, I drank some water, and ate a banana and some almond butter and laid down on the couch with a blanket and watched my A's celebrate their division championship. I was freezing, which was ironic because a few hours earlier my sister was making fun of me and asking me if I was going through early menopause because I had been super hot. At this point I also took 2 ibuprofen because I couldn't take it anymore. Once it kicked in I was feeling a lot better... but tired. I don't know if this is caffeine withdrawals or carb withdrawals (or both)?

For dinner I had some more pork tenderloin and some asparagus with olive oil that I roasted this morning.

Two things I have observed so far:

The amount of meat that is involved is more than I am used to. I'm more of the mindset that a whole foods (mostly) plant-based diet is ideal. I've seen the health benefits a vegan lifestyle can give a person. That being said, I've never been a vegetarian but I try to at least not eat meat once or twice during the week. Also, I miss my oatmeal and my sprouted grain bread.. and my coffee of course..
Another thing is that I realized I need to eat more. Since starting this program I decided to start logging my food in MyFitnessPal again. I barely had 1250 calories today, and my goal is 1800. I ate more yesterday, but it was still only 1500. I need to up the calories or I'm never going to have enough energy to work out. I miss Crossfit and strength training! It's only been a week but that is a week too long!

Nighty night... 19 more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment