Saturday, December 29, 2012

I heart Quinoa

I love quinoa, I really do. It's easy to make & is super nutritious. I usually buy the TruRoots Organic Quinoa from Costco and I don't rinse it beforehand even I've heard that you should due to the saponin causing a bitter taste. The one time I tried to rinse it most of it got stuck in the strainer and just created extra work and a big mess, and since it tastes fine to me without rinsing, I never tried rinsing again. I've been looking for delicious recipes to make with quinoa and one thing I had never done with quinoa was eat it for breakfast, so when I found a recipe in Oxygen magazine for Winter Morning Quinoa I was excited to try it. It's so good & really filling! I've eaten it probably a dozen or so times since I discovered it about 3 weeks ago, and again this morning since I had some leftover quinoa (I usually cook about 4-6 servings at once at the beginning of the week so I have it readily available throughout the week). The only modification I make is that I don't use Splenda, I use a half ounce of walnuts instead of a full ounce & I usually add berries on top.



The recipe as I make it comes out to approximately 388 calories, 55g carbs, 13g fat, 15g protein, 22g sugar (per MyFitnessPal).

This evening for dinner I ended up eating quinoa again since I had about one more serving left, but it wasn't nearly as exciting as breakfast :) Since I was feeling a little run down a friend advised me to eat a lot of dark greens (like kale), and suggested I blanch the kale and mix it with quinoa and a can of tuna (I had albacore on hand).

This was the result:





Doesn't look like much, does it? I squeezed about half a lemon on top, heated it up in the microwave for a minute, and it turned out to be a filling and semi-tasty quick meal.

What's your favorite way to make quinoa?

No comments:

Post a Comment