Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ripped in 30 Week 1

Well Week 1 is done. It was a rough week. I've already used up the last 2 drinking occasions of the month due to a belated Christmas party with my friends and a post-Christmas work event last night. Needless to say I am not feeling 100%, today's workout was tough, it took me 45 minutes instead of 30 due to extended breaks. I only ended up doing the video 3 times this week, because I ended up working out at the gym yesterday with a friend of mine, we didn't really have a plan but did a bunch of core/ab exercises and some other random strength work (planks, ab twists with the cable machine, crunches, side crunches, roman chair leg raises, push ups, wall squats) and then finally finished with 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical.

Regardless, I'll be moving on to week 2 this week. I also need to start running again as I had signed up for an 8k back in October (the 2nd annual 408k Race to the Row coming up in March)  and just remembered this past week that I had registered ;)

Anyway I wanted to use this post to talk about the modifications I made to Week 1 to prevent knee pain and it seemed to work. It's weird that I've experienced knee pain from RI30 because I can do jump squats/lunges and plyometrics all day long. I got some of the modification ideas from this blog. I also wanted to note the weights I used for each exercise. I have weak shoulders and the video has you doing high reps so I'm pretty much always using the "barbie" weights as the New Rules of Lifting for Women book would refer to them - that book is another story for another day :)

Circuit 1
Push up - body weight, on knees
Squat and Press - 5 lb 
Crescent pose - 5 lb

Modifications:
Skaters - Step touch instead of jump

Circuit 2
Stiff leg deadlift upright row - 5lb, worked up to 8
Squat swing - 12 lb
Good mornings - 5lb, worked up to 8

Modifications:
Running man - shorter stride

Circuit 3
Chair pose reverse fly - 5lb
Side lunge with front raise - 5lb
Lunge with bicep curls - 5lb

Modifications:
Side lunge with front raise - made these stationary lunges instead of moving from side to side
Butt kicks - jogged in place

That's it!!! Have a great week everyone. I'm drinking some coconut water and trying to regain my energy back...

1 comment: